Eggs have gotten a bad rap in the nutrition world, probably because they contain a lot of cholesterol. Studies have shown, however, that eggs are really good for you and are one of the “superfoods” you should include in your diet. They are high in nutrients, which make them a healthy food to eat.
Here are six reasons why you should eat more eggs:
- Eggs are very nutritious. Eggs are among the most nutritious foods you can eat. A single boiled egg contains the following nutrients:
- Folate—5 percent of the recommended daily allowance (RDA)
- Vitamin A—6 percent of the RDA
- Vitamin B12—9 percent of the RDA
- Vitamin B5—5 percent of the RDA
- Vitamin B2—15 percent of the RDA
- Selenium—22 percent of the RDA
- Phosphorus—9 percent of the RDA
Eggs are also high in vitamin E, vitamin D, vitamin B6, vitamin K, zinc, and calcium. It contains only 77 calories per serving and five grams of healthy fat. It contains six grams of total protein. There are trace nutrients in eggs that you can’t get in high amounts in other foods. Eggs are perhaps the most perfect food you can eat because they contain the vitamins and minerals the body needs for good health. Even better than regular eggs are omega 3-enriched eggs, that are higher in vitamin E and vitamin A.
- Eggs might be high in cholesterol but don’t affect the blood cholesterol level. Even though eggs are high in cholesterol, they don’t raise the blood cholesterol levels. One egg contains 212 mg of cholesterol, which is more than half of the 300 mg per day that are recommended that we eat. You need to know, however, that the cholesterol in the diet doesn’t mean that the cholesterol in the bloodstream will be higher. When we eat eggs, the liber’s production of cholesterol goes down so that there isn’t more cholesterol in the bloodstream. In about 70 percent of individuals, eggs don’t raise the cholesterol level at all. About 30 percent of people will have a mild increase in LDL and total cholesterol. The only people that shouldn’t eat eggs ae those who have a genetic disorder that causes elevated cholesterol levels.